Wednesday 27 February 2013

Adaptation: Developing an Environment Style

Developing an Environment Style


After watching Chico and Rita, I left with a pretty good idea of the style I wanted to apply to the 3D environments in my video. The moment when Chico is arriving in New York, as seen below, the style shifts quite radically, moving into a heavier, more graphical style, reminiscent of many cartoons of the era.

Chico and Rita: Welcome to New York

After seeing this, I jumped back into a book I referenced heavily for my Commission project, called Cartoon Modern: Style and Design in Fifties Animation, by Amid Amidi. 
I went through the book, throwing post-its at everything that was remotely striking and that I felt would fit nicely with the mid-century consumerist aesthetic I've been attempting to piece together.
Below are a few examples of some of the animations with a stylistic charm that may carry over into my own project (I apologise in advance for the abuse your scroll wheel will endure when scrolling through the following images).



Petroushka

Hotsy Footsy


Destination Magoo



Rhapsody of Steel


A Cowboy Needs a Horse

Woodpecker from Mars

I've began drafting up some concept artwork around the styles pictured here, some of which should hopefully be up fairly soonish.

No comments:

Post a Comment