Monday 13 May 2013

Commissioned Project: CG Sculpt of an Amphibious Humanoid Creature

Commissioned Project: CG Sculpt of an Amphibious Humanoid Creature



Around the time of our Adaptation project brief, a friend of mine studying at UCA Maidstone commissioned me to develop a CG model of a non-descript, amphibious, humanoid creature, as part of her current project. She pretty much gave me control to generate whatever I wanted to, whilst sticking loosely to a basic outline of what she had in mind. Although, as the Adaptation project was hugely demanding, I haven't had a proper chance to put anything together for her until now. 
The image above is the state of the creature currently. As time is fairly tight and I wanted to flex my sculpting muscles a bit, I've decided to create the creature strictly using Mudbox, working into the 'Generic Male' preset, and modifying it as I go.
The approach is very, very on-the-fly, as I'm piecing design aspects together as I go along, googling pieces of reference as and when something pops into my head. Typically, this fairly blind approach would terrify me, but after the Adaptation project, this freestyle approach is surprisingly refreshing and the first creative task I've undertaken that I have genuinely enjoyed for quite a while.
Its looking very doughy at the moment, but I will post updates as I develop this creature over the coming days, gradually building up its details evening by evening and hopefully creating something pretty cool for my first real go at CG sculpting. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Steve - you're a busy lad - and about to get busier! Can we discuss these retro idents for New Designers? You must have Picasso looming too... Drop me an email maybe :)

    ReplyDelete