Monday 29 October 2012

Character Design: Drawing Update 29/10/12

Drawing Update 29/10/12

Today, I spent most of my time trying to figure out the construction of a snake, built using only simple shapes.


After looking at tons and tons of different images of snakes, I found that their construction is less like one giant cylinder and more like a stretched out trapezium. More like a ribbon than a rope.


They appear to have for faces down their entire length that map to a separate corner on the underside of the head. These faces converge at the tip, never crossing.

Once I'd figured out a method of construction the snake, I moved on to working on the Mongoose. Although, it wasn't long before I realised I was coming up with the same sort of thing each time around; a Mongoose torso with humanoid arms. This approach may be suitable, but I can do better. I'm just not sure how, just yet... I think that's something to discuss with Justin in tomorrow's lesson.







I also sketched out a couple of variants for the Alligator as well, although as with the Mongoose, I soon fell into a pattern of practically drawing the same thing, so I need to find a way of breaking out of this habit and really pushing the characters.






1 comment:

  1. a really nice set of 'thinking out loud' drawings here, stevie p!

    ReplyDelete